What is the best above ground pool pump and filter? Choosing the best pump and filter for your above ground pool can be the difference between having a clean facility and a cloudy one.
You must get a system that can handle your pool’s needs, and that can be a complicated process. Most product descriptions are misleading; you can end up getting no value for your money.
The review below looks at the top seven above ground pool pump and filter system for 2020.
Top 7 Above Ground Pool Pump and Filter Reviewed
Below are the top seven above ground pool pumps and filters.
1. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
It is a 16-inch filter pump that you can use with above ground swimming pool. The model provides these features:
- Use natural sand: The sand provides the ideal filtration to keep your pool clean, refreshing, and soft.
- 6-function control valve: It enables you to drain, recirculate, backwash, rinse, filter, and shut the system.
- 24-hour timer: The time lets you set the system to clean your pool automatically.
- 3,000 GPH flow: That flow rate makes it the ideal filter pump for a pool of 16 inches.
- No maintenance: You only need to replace the sand after five years.
- Heavy-duty tank: It allows the filter pump to last for years without getting damaged.
- Large strainer basket: The basket holds lots of debris before you require to empty it.
- 75% efficiency: It provides up to 75% efficiency to save you power.
2. Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH Sand Filter Pump
It is a model that features the E.C.O technology to ensure that you get a spotless clean pool. Here are its core features:
- For above-ground pools: It is ideal for a pool of between 4,800 to 15,000 gallons.
- Comes with GFCI: The unit was designed for 110-120V and comes with ground fault circuit interrupter.
- 2-year warranty: It covers parts to provide you with peace of mind that you have a durable filter pump.
- High flow rate: The unit boasts of a flow rate of 2650 GPH – it can circulate lots of water.
- Digital timer: It is a useful feature that lets you set the cleaning time and leave the pump to work automatically.
- Can run for 12-hour: You can set your pump filter to run for 12 hours without shutting down.
3. Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump
It is another model that you can use for your above ground swimming pool. Here are its main features:
- Easy to maintain: You just need to replace the cartridge filter every 7-14 days.
- Air release valve: It helps you to remove air trapped in the system to prevent any damage.
- Double insulated: That insulation comes in handy to ensure that the filter pump remains durable for decades.
- Sediment flush valve: It is located at the bottom of the filter chamber to remove collected sediment.
- Large capacity pump: You can use it to clean a pool of between 4,000-15,200 gallons.
- For most pool brands: It is ideal for use with Easy Set, Metal Frame, and Oval Frame pools.
4. Hayward SP1580X15 Power-Flo LX Series 1.5 HP Above-Ground Pool Pump
It is a product that can provide you with the cleaning power you desire to make your pool favorable. You can count on the following features:
- PowerFlo LX pump: It makes it a high-performance system that you can use for in-ground and above-ground pools.
- 100% drip proof: The product cannot drip water thanks to its quality construction.
- Heat-resistant: It boasts of a double-sized seal that prevents the motor’s heat from reaching other parts.
- 1½” discharge and intake: It lets you connect to standard hoses without needing to alter anything.
- Clear cover: It comes in handy to allow you to see when the basket is full of trash.
- Corrosion-proof: Another feature is the thermoplastic housing that keeps the filter pump protected.
- Quiet operation: It produces less noise when cleaning your swimming pool compared to most units out there.
5. Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump
The filter pump boasts of a unique design that allows it to clean an above-ground pool with ease. Some of its key features are:
- For various pools: It is suitable for Easy Set, Frame Pool, and Oval Frame swimming pools.
- Easy to install: You simply connect the hoses, and you are done.
- High flow rate: It provides a high flow rate of 1,500 GPH.
- Double insulated pump: That helps to prevent heat from reaching other parts of the filter.
- Auto timer: You can set your system to clean when you are away at a specific time.
- Easy to clean the filter: The filter allows you to wash it and replace it when it gets damaged.
- Affordable model: You do not need to break a bank to afford this filter pump.
6. Hayward VL40T32 VL Series 30 G.P.M. Sand Filter System
It is a system that you should consider installing to keep your pool fresh and clean. The unit has these features:
- Quick assembly: It takes just a few minutes to assemble the sand filter system.
- Matched filter/pump: That ensures that you enjoy maximum flow while saving energy.
- Multi-position valve: It comes in handy to provide maximum flow even when pressure is low.
- Durable filter: The filter base is molded with thermoplastic to ensure that they last for long.
- Withstand all weather: It can handle hot and cold climates without getting damaged.
- Hose adapter: The system also comes with a hose adapter that you can use to connect it.
- Easy to maintain: It is a filter pump that requires minimal maintenance to give you time for other things.
7. Harris H1572230 Vortex 24 Inch Above Ground Sand Filter System
It is a simple filter system that can take less than 10 minutes to assemble and install. Its features include:
- 24-inch filter: It is a filter that can work with water of between 32-113 degrees F.
- 7-position dial valve: You can choose the desired position depending on what you want to accomplish, like backwashing, rinsing, and closing.
- Hydraulically balanced laterals: They help to maximize filtration by increasing water flow.
- Little maintenance: You only need to replace the sand after five years or so.
- Easy to assemble: It allows you to assemble and install it without seeking professional help.
- Value for money: The system is durable enough to ensure that you get value for your money.
- No corrosion: It can withstand the harsh conditions without rusting or corroding.
Buying Guide: Above Ground Pool Pump and Filter Combo
Choosing the perfect pump and filter for your above ground pool can take time, effort, and money. How do you go about it?
1. Choose the Filter Size
When selecting the filter, ensure that you pick one that provides at least one sq. ft. coverage per 10K gallons of water. For instance, a 16” filter system with a 1.55” sq. ft. filtration area is perfect for a 15K gallons pool.
2. Choose the Pool Size
Consider your above ground pool shape and then follow these guidelines:
- A pool of at most 24 feet uses a 1 HP pump
- A pool of over 24 feet uses a 1.5 HP pump
- A pool of 15×30 or less uses a 1 HP motor
- A pool of over 15×30 uses a 1.5 HP motor
The two come as a combo, and you can get a system that can fit your needs.
3. Easy to Install
Despite the many parts you need to connect when installing a pump and filter, many brands offer detailed installation instructions. There are dozens of YouTube videos that can guide you when assembling and fixing your system.
Some units can be assembled within 15 minutes, while others take more than an hour. That depends on the model you choose.
You should not choose a pool system that will require you to call a professional to install it.
4. Durable Product
You should also consider the durability of the pump and filter you want to buy. You can expect cheaper models to get damaged with ease compared to high-premium ones.
They are also not made of the same engineering and can fail sooner. The filters also vary in durability; some can last for a season, others a year, and others about five years.
5. Consider the Cost
The options of an above ground swimming pool pump and filter ranges from a couple of hundreds to several thousand dollars. You can get a system for any price, and the more expensive units might be made of quality material.
6. Consider Effectiveness
One critical thing is the effectiveness of the pump and filter you purchase. That can play a crucial role in ensuring you get a clean pool and save on power costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some of the often asked questions.
Q: What Size Pump and Filter for My Above Ground Pool?
A: A useful tip is to go for a filter that provides one sq. ft. for every 10,000 gallons of water. For the pump, a round pool of not more than 24 ft. and a 15×30 oval pool can work with a pump of 1 HP.
Find a pump and filter combo that meets your pool size.
Q: How to Install Above Ground Pool Pump and Filter?
A: Follow these simple steps when installing your pump and filter:
- Choose the perfect location for installing the pump
- Attach the pump hoses to the corresponding pool parts
- Connect the pump and the filter
- Prime the pump and activate it
- Check for any leak and listen
Q: How to Hook Up Above Ground Pool Pump and Filter?
A: Place the pump and filter on a level surface, and connect them by attaching the pump to the pool’s filter housing. Use a plumber tape at the joint to prevent leaking.
The best above ground pool pump and filter combo that might work for your friend might not work for you. It is, therefore, essential to know what you pool needs before you settle for any model or brand.
You can now go online or head to a pool store near you and select the best pump and filter combo for your above ground pool.
You May Also Like:
- How To Reset Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
- The Best Inground Pool Pump
- The Best Pool Cartridge Filter
- The Best Above Ground Pool Pump
- The Best Pool Sand Filter
- What is Diatomaceous Earth? Does It Pose a Threat to Your Pool?
- Can You Shock A Pool Without The Pump Running
- How to Tell if Your Sand Filter is Bad
- How Full Should My Pool Sand Filter Be?