Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Whether you are a first-time pool owner or you have owned one for years, you would agree that to maintain that little slice of backyard paradise, you need the best pool supplies. Cleaning the pool is a huge responsibility especially if you care too much about hygiene. Having the right cleaning supplies from reliable suppliers can vanish half of your worries.
Pick The Best Pool Store
Before you make a list of the pool supplies, it would help if you know from which pool store you can get everything you need. These are the options you can try:
- Find A Local Pool Store In Your Area
There must be a local pool supply store in your area. They stock and carry a wide variety of pool products. Chances are the owner is already a pool man with years of experience. Such stores are honest about the products they sell. They don’t try up-selling their products either. You will get all the help you need in picking the right pool supply.
- Look For A Corporate Pool Store
If there is no local pool store in your area, then look for a corporate pool store. It’s going to be a retail store from where you can get all the pool supplies you need. The only problem is the staff here may not have hands-on pool service experience. But you will still land on everything you need.
What Pool Supplies Are Necessary For Pool Cleaning?
Now, it’s time to make a list of pool supplies necessary to take care of your swimming pool. Here is everything you will need:
- Pool filter
- Pool pump
- Pool heater
- Robotic pool cleaner
- Chlorine tablet
- Pool algaecide
- Pool test kit
- Pool vacuum head
- Pool brush
- Pool hose
- Pool skimmer
- Pool cover
- Pool ladder
- Driving board
15 Must-Have Pool Supplies For Every Pool Owner
After this comes the real deal i.e. picking the actual supplies. If you don’t have prior experience in buying pool supplies, here is a quick review of some of the best-selling products:
Intex 14ft X 42in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump
- The pool is easy to assemble, you will be done with the installation within a couple of hours.
- It comes with everything you need to start filling up with water and swim.
- The drain plug works like a charm in draining the pool.
- It has a large enough size to swim.
- Some users complained the pool leaks
Intex 14ft X 42in Ultra Frame Pool Set has a 3,357-gallon water capacity. It has a Krystal clear cartridge filter pump with 1000 GPH. The pool is very easy to install. You simply have to hook up the hoses and fill the pool with clean water.
There is a DVD included that has instructions of setting up and maintaining the pool. The pool has durable steel frames powder coated to prevent them from getting rusty.
A hydro aeration technology is incorporated into the dual suction outlet fittings to improve the water circulation and hence promote water hygiene and clarity. It also has a drain plug that conveniently connects to the garden hose to drain the water out of the pool.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools
- It’s powerful enough to do its job efficiently.
- You will be done with assembling the pump within 30 minutes.
- It’s quieter as compared to most pumps.
- You only have to run the pump for a few hours a day to make the water crystal clear.
- Its suction is not that great. Some users have complained it leaves and sand behind.
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump is a perfect machine to keep your above-ground pool water clean and refreshing. The pump naturally filters water with its 6-function control valve. You can filter, backwash, rinse, re-circulate, drain, and close the system.
The filter picks small algae and dirt particles floating inside the pool. Its sand filters are pretty easy to maintain. You only have to replace the sand once after every 5 years.
The filter has a 24-hour timer that further makes pool cleaning easier. The Krystal clear sand filter pump has a flow rate of 1200 GPH.
WAYNE 57729-WYNP WAPC250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Water Removal Pool Cover Pump
- It’s easy to operate and use all thanks to the automatic operation.
- It operates quietly.
- It shuts off as the water level drops so you can even leave it plugged in.
- It still leaves standing water on the cover.
- The pump gets clogged with debris often.
WAPC250 is an automatic pool pump with a flow rate of 3000 gallons per hour. The pump comes with check-valve with 3/4″ garden hose adapter which is meant to reduce the repetitive cycling.
The pump has a unique protection circuit that is meant to protect the motor from getting locked when the dirt or debris builds up from a frozen impeller. When the pump is in action and a lock impeller situation occurs, the unit shuts down automatically. This protects the motor from overheating. The on and off cycle continues to free the impeller.
Pentair 460792 Stainless Steel MasterTemp
- It can raise water temperature at about 2 to 3 degrees an hour.
- It’s more energy efficient than most heaters out there.
- Its installation is very simple.
- Since it has a vertical plumbing fixture, it is difficult to connect to water supplies.
Pentair 460792 Stainless Steel MasterTemp is a natural gas heater that is fast enough to heat up your pool or spa. It is easy to use and very quiet in its operation.
As compared to its size, the heater is packed with a lot of power. The controls of the heater are pretty straightforward to use, too.
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- The unit is easy to configure and use.
- It’s great at scrubbing the walls and the floor of the pool.
- It has a strong suction and excellent traction.
- It’s not very good at picking leaves from the surface
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus is one of the must-have robotic pool cleaners. It is quite simple to use – you just have to plug it in and let it clean your in-ground pool.
It’s advanced scanning technology and powerful suction makes it a perfect unit to scrub and vacuum the walls and floor of your in-ground pool. The cleaner will be done with its job in just 2 hours.
It has dual scrubbing brushes underneath that get rid of the debris, dirt, and leaves. You don’t need a booster pump or a hose to make it work.
CLOROX Pool&Spa 22005CLXW Active99 3″ Chlorinating Tablets
- Only one tablet would do the work.
- It’s very efficient in getting rid of algae and bacteria from the water.
- You don’t need to put extra effort into scrubbing stains from the pool.
- Watch out for broken tablets in the container.
Chlorine tablets are a necessary part of the maintenance and cleanliness of your pool. The Clorox Pool&Spa chlorinating tablets are useful in preventing algae and killing bacteria. You will just have to use them twice a week to do the work. They can be used in floater, feeder or skimmer.
One box contains 99 tablets that are individually wrapped to sanitize the pool water. One tablet will be enough for 10,000 gallons of water. These tablets don’t just clean your pool water but they reduce the amount of effort required in scrubbing the pool walls.
Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide
- It’s very great at removing algae from your pool.
- One bottle is enough to last for a long time.
- It is safe to use with all pool and filter types.
- You might have to use this algaecide in combination with other products to completely get rid of the algae.
Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 is amongst the most efficient pool algaecides. It is non-foaming and it is safe to use with all types of pools and filters.
Its results are long-lasting. You can say goodbye to the bits of algae that you often find floating in the pool. It’s not that reliable in cleaning a pool that has excessive algae though.
Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Swimming Pool and Spa Water Chemistry Test Kit with Case
- The instructions for testing are very easy to follow.
- A polyethylene case is provided to keep the components of the kit organized.
- The kit is not just simple but also accurate to use.
- Watch out for varying test results
Poolmaster 22260 5-way swimming pool and spa water chemistry test kit is designed to help you maintain the water chemistry. You can use this kit for testing bromine, chlorine, total Alkalinity, acid demand, and PH of the water.
Milliard 14” Flexible Spa and Pool Vacuum Head, Great for Cleaning Debris from Pool Floors
- It is very easy to maneuver and does its job well.
- It’s lighter in weight but the head is heavy enough to keep it submerged.
- The unit is sturdy and well-designed.
- Some users have complained its wheels come out
Milliard 14” flexible spa and pool vacuum head is a great choice for cleaning pools. It is rectangular in shape and its body is made from plastic. The vacuum head has enough weight to keep it at the bottom of the pool.
Underneath the head are free rolling wheels to let you move the vacuum and clean everything well. The best thing is it does not scrap or scratch delicate surfaces. Its handle adapter can be used with standard pool extension pools.
Milliard 18″ Heavy Duty Nylon and Wire Hybrid Swimming Pool Algae Brush
- The nylon bristles remove harsh stains effortlessly.
- It has a strong aluminum handle that doesn’t break like other brushes.
- It’s not very great at cleaning the sides of the pool.
Milliard 18″ algae pool brush is made from heavy-duty nylon bristles that can help you get rid of stubborn algae. Its aluminum handle is angled at 45 degrees to help you keep the brush in an ideal position to push and clean effectively.
As the brush is wide, it can quickly clean large areas. The curves edges let you reach the corners too. It easily fits standard pole holes.
Poolmaster 33430 Heavy Duty In-Ground Pool Vacuum Hose With Swivel Cuff
- The hose does not kink or twist.
- It is easy to hook up and use.
- It works flawlessly to vacuum out the pool.
- Since it is made from plastic, it is not durable.
Poolmaster 33430 Heavy Duty is a hose for in-ground pools. It can fit a standard vacuum head and telescopic pole. It has been designed for manual vacuuming.
It has a spiral wound construction to provide extra strength, flexibility, and maximum flow rate. There is a swivel cuff at one end that directly connects to the vacuum head. The non-swivel end, on the other hand, connects to the skimmer.
The hose works best when it is warm as that maximizes the flexibility. It is made from EVA polymer material that’s meant to provide high tensile strength and make the hose crush and crack resistant. The hose is UV and chemical resistant.https://poolsfordummies.com/best-pool-vacuum-hoses-reviews/
It has been designed to withstand the corrosion caused by harsh pool chemicals too.
ProTuff 13″ SPA & Fountain Rake
- It helps you remove leaves and grass from the bottom of the pool without vacuuming.
- You can count on it to quickly clean the pool.
- The aluminum alloy frame makes it strong and sturdy.
- You might have to spend extra time getting the stuck debris out of the net.
ProTuff 13″ SPA & Fountain Rake is a strong skimmer made from aluminum alloy frame that keeps it from bending and twisting. It easily connects to any standard size telescoping pool pole having a connect clip.
It has a double stitched nylon pool bag attached that catches all mold and mildew as you pass it through the water. The mesh filters out leaves, debris, and even insects.
The easy glide scoop front lets you pick everything from the bottom of the pool quickly. It works great on 24, 27, 30 ft swimming pools regardless of their shape.
Sun2Solar Blue 4-Foot-by-8-Foot Rectangle Solar Cover
- You can cut the cover to make it fit the size of your pool.
- It retains the heat and keeps your pool water warm.
- It does a great job keeping pool water from being evaporated.
- It is not very durable. The bubbles are susceptible to break.
Sun2Solar Blue 4-Foot-by-8-Foot Rectangle Solar Cover is like a solar blanket made from tiny bubbles. They collect and retain heat from the sun and keep your swimming pool warm.
With the use of this solar cover, you can prevent water evaporation by 95 percent. That means if your pool is not being used, you can cover it up with the solar blanket to make sure it remains filled for a long time.
As the pool cover does a great job in keeping the water warm, you can jump right into it confidently. Putting the cover and taking it off is not a tiring job.
Even if your pool has a unique shape, you can trim this solar cover to make it fit. A great thing is that it does not affect the manufacturer’s warranty.
Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Above Ground Adjustable Pool Roll-Guard Safety Ladder
- The ladder is very easy to setup and use.
- It is safe for the little ones to use.
- The locking feature makes sure the ladder does not move from its place.
- The ladder could get a little bit shaky for a heavier person.
Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 ladder easily adjusts to 46 to 56-inch tall pools. It has an extra-large platform and large 18-inch x 5-inch comfortread steps to make you climb conveniently.
The ladder also has a lockable roll guard barrier that rolls over the outer step when it is not in use. It is not meant for Intex, pop-up, and inflatable pools.
R. Smith 66-209-596S24 Frontier III Replacement Diving Board
- It is very simple to install.
- The body of the board is made from non-slip sanded tread material.
- It comes with all the hardware needed.
- The board is too stiff to use.
S.R. Smith 66-209-596S24 Frontier III Replacement is a non-slip diving board made from stainless steel material. It has an acrylic outer body and sanded tread. There are also two holes pre-drilled to make it easier to install.
It is safe and fun to use on residential pools. The materials used in its construction make it corrosion-free. All hardware including nuts, bolts, washers, and decorative and safety caps are provided inside the box.
Maintaining a clean and healthy swimming environment for yourself and your family isn’t easy. With so many different pool supplies available, knowing how to choose the right pool supplies is a daunting task. With the list of pool supplies reviewed above, you can familiarize yourself with the best available products and choose what works for you and your pool.